Balanceability for Schools
- Balanceability provides an accredited Foundation Stage 'Learn to Cycle' programme for Reception and Year 1 children (also starting with pre-school children from 2½ years).
- The programme is designed to help children gain the confidence and skills required to ride a pedal bike independently, getting them off to the best start in cycling and assisting their ability to participate in Bikeability at a later stage in their school years.
- Schools are able to get set up with Balanceability by buying a Balanceability Pack which includes all the equipment, programme materials and training in order to deliver the sessions as a sustainable programme. Balanceability can be run indoors or outdoors as part of the weekly regular PE activity, delivered by teachers and has been developed to fit into the school lesson planning.
For children, schools provide the most accessible, and sometimes only, opportunity for regular, structured play, physical education, physical activity and sports. This is particularly true of those with financial and/or transportation challenges, and those with parents who lack the time to enable their children's participation due to work commitments. (Designed to move.org)
Balanceability works directly with schools to promote the physical benefits of cycling for young children as well as providing a success-orientated experience. The programme offers children the ability to become competent cyclists at an early age through the development of balance and control. A recent study (MORI, 2011) concluded that 43% of children cannot ride a bike by the age of six. While the government injects millions of pounds into the Bikeability programme for children aged seven and above, there is no equivalent provision for Foundation Stage children to learn the basics until now.
We've got everything you need to get started:
- Balanceability Pack (includes: Manual, Session Plans, Activity booklets, DVD and Balance bikes)
- Balance Bag
- Pedal Bikes
- Membership (for unlimited access to on-line resources)
You can book onto 1-day Instructor Training days - based either at one of our ‘fixed site’ locations or at your school (minimum numbers would apply) – which will enable teachers to plan, organise, prepare and run the Balanceability programme within schools to the necessary standard in order to achieve the stated outcomes. We would fully encourage all teachers to book onto this Instructor Training where possible.
The Instructor Training and Continuing Professional Development for teachers will ensure you and your teachers have the skills, confidence and motivation to deliver varied, fun and inclusive Balanceability sessions.
Teachers can book one of our training days based at a fixed location or alternatively we can arrange a training day at your school site (minimum numbers would apply). See 'Become an Instructor' tab on the home page for more details.
There is an optional 1-day training course for teachers with structured outcomes which involves practical sessions using programme equipment and children.
How to order
When your Purchase Order has been received an invoice will be sent back to you which also includes a delivery date.